Posted by guitar tuner acoustic
on April 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM
In order to compare the differences between the Snark Sn-1 model (blue) and the SN-2 model (red), I decided to run a side-by-side test to see which one I liked better. There are some obvious differences between the two, but I wanted to line them up against each other head to head.
Before I get into any results, let me cover the obvious differences:
- If you ever need to tune something other than a guitar or bass, you will want the red SN-2 model which is capable of tuning virtually any stringed instrument. The blue SN-1 model only focuses on guitar and bass.
- If you ever need to tune anything by sound, only the red SN-2 model has microphone capabilities. The red SN-2 model has a switch that goes from vibration to sound. The blue SN-1 model only senses vibrations.
Other than that, the SN-1 and SN-2 were identical in terms of their capabilities. I clipped both tuners onto my headstock at the same time and started tuning my Fender F-210 (with the SN-2 set on vibration)....... Three things I noticed right away:
- I was amazed at how both readings were nearly identical. I posted the video on our home page so you can see how similar the readings were. I expected to see a difference between the two and there was none.
- Both tuners had very little needle jumpiness. That's my pet peeve with tuners! Both tuners passed my pet peeve test with flying colors.
- The blue SN-1 has a brighter display than the red SN-2 does. That's not to say the SN-2 is dim, I used the same SN-2 tuner outside two days prior in bright sunlight. But side by side there is a clear difference in brightness. That's the one major advantage the SN-1 model has over the SN-2 model.
If you're only going to be using the tuner on a guitar or bass. And you do not need the microphone sensor function...... It's pretty much a wash! I never saw any significant difference that would make me want to use one over the other. If you want to see this video, simply visit our homepage, where I have the Snark SN-1 vs. SN-2 video posted
. I have since repeated this test several times without recording video and each time reached the same conclusion of indifference. I love them both! Click here if you want to purchase one of the Snark models for yourself.